LITTLETON, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 19, 1999--
DISH Network Provides Most Comprehensive TV Package to U.S. Spanish-Speaking Customers
EchoStar Communications Corp. (NASDAQ: DISH, DISHP) is pleased to announce that DISH Network™ will launch the most complete Spanish-language television and audio programming package ever offered in the United States. DISH Network's Spanish-Language Package, to debut Aug. 3, 1999, will offer 20 channels of Spanish-language television and audio programming from Latin America and Spain.
Already a leading provider of Spanish-language TV programming,
DISH Network is proud to be the first satellite television provider to
offer the fast-growing U.S. Spanish-speaking audience with the most
extensive selection of news, sports movies, music and other
"The U.S. Hispanic population is over 31 million and growing, yet
this community has been largely disregarded by a majority of
television providers," said Michael Schwimmer, vice president of
Programming at EchoStar. "DISH Network has made a point to bring the
entire U.S. Spanish-speaking audience the most diverse television
programming that complements every area of interest. No other
television programming provider offers the extensive lineup of
Spanish-language programs as DISH Network."
DISH Network's Spanish Language Package will be available on
EchoStar's new DISH 500 satellite dish system or by pointing two
satellite dishes at EchoStar satellites located at 119 degrees West
Longitude and 110 degrees W.L. orbital locations. Customers can order
the package for only $19.99 a month or $239.88 annually.
Some of the many channels featured in DISH Network's Spanish
Language Package include:
- Telemundo - A full-service Spanish-language network featuring novellas (soap operas), movies, news, sports, children's programming, talk shows, specials and music videos.
- FOX Sports Americas - The first 24-hour Latin American Spanish-language sports network providing coverage of a multitude of international sporting events such as soccer, basketball, tennis, cycling, wrestling, volleyball and rugby.
- Discovery en Espanol - Discovery en Espanol offers Spanish speaking audiences of all ages the very best in nonfiction entertainment including nature, science and technology, history and world exploration. Like its sister networks, Discovery en Espanol aims to educate, inform and entertain viewer with quality programming designed to help them explore their world and satisfy their natural curiosity.
- GEMS - The only 24-hour international Spanish-language TV network specifically designed for Hispanic women's interests and families. Programming includes a unique mix of drama, variety, movies and novellas.
- Cine Latino - Cine Latino offers 100-percent Spanish-language movies with the best contemporary productions from Latin America and Spain.
- CBS TeleNoticias - This 24-hour-a-day news network provides world and regional news by Spanish and Portuguese-speaking journalists. Programming includes international news coverage, worldwide business and financial news, lifestyle and entertainment news, and weather updates.
- GRAN CANAL LATINO - With more than 400 premieres each year, Gran Canal Latino presents great Latin cinema created in the Spanish language. Programming includes musicals, dramas, comedies and classics.
- SUR - SUR retransmits the daily newscasts and most popular shows live from the leading Latin American broadcast networks. Programs are broadcast from Argentina, Chile, Bolivia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Columbia, Venezuela, Panama, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and Mexico. Newscasts from Nicaragua, El Salvador, Guatemala, Costa Rica and Honduras are scheduled for the future.
- TV Chile - A 24-hour-a-day network offering news, telenovelas, sports and nature documentaries. With 90 percent of its programming from Chile, TV Chile also broadcasts weekly games and championships of professional Chilean soccer.
- HTV - A 24-hour all-Spanish language television music network providing a mix of old and new hit music videos. Its format includes balada, salsa, merengue and other popular Latin rhythms, introduced by the artists themselves in place of vee jays.
- Playboy en Espanol - Playboy will offer its popular adult programming with a Latin accent. (Available upon request)
- DISH CD Latin - Six channels of CD-quality Latin variety music, including Latino Styles, Miami Mix, Tejana, Viva Mariachi, Fiesta Mexicana and Latino Pop.
DISH Network also offers Univision and Galavision in DISH
Network's America's Top-100 CD programming package and provides a
Spanish Language Audio Option free of charge for subscribers to the
regular services of HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, the Cartoon Network and
most DISH-On-Demand Pay-Per-View movies.
For more information or to order, visit your nearest DISH Network
retailer or call 1-800/333-DISH (3474).
EchoStar Communications Corp., includes three interrelated
- DISH Network™ is EchoStar's state-of-the-art DBS system that offers customers over 300 channels of digital video and CD-quality audio programming, fully MPEG-2/DVB compliant hardware and installation.
- EchoStar Technologies Corporation designs, manufactures and distributes DBS set-top boxes, antennas and other digital equipment for the DISH Network and various international customers that include ExpressVu Canada and Telefonica's Via Digital system in Spain. ETC also provides uplink center design, construction oversight and project integration services for customers internationally. ETC also oversees EchoStar Data Networks Corporation in Atlanta, a leading supplier of MediaStream® technology for distributing Internet content over satellite networks.
- Satellite Services provides the delivery of video, audio and data services to business television customers and other satellite users. These services include satellite uplink, satellite transponder space usage, and other services. Satellite Services also administers SKY VISTA, a direct broadcast satellite service offering over 27 channels of popular digital satellite television programming to viewers in Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and the U.S. territories in the Caribbean.
- DISH Network currently serves approximately 2.6 million customers. DISH Network is a trademark of EchoStar Communications Corporation. DISH Network is located on the Internet at:
CONTACT: EchoStar Communications Corp., Littleton Judianne Atencio Communications Director 303/723-2010 firstname.lastname@example.org or Marc Lumpkin Communications Manager 303/723-2020 email@example.com